A fast-setting, two-part, toughened, alumina bead-filled epoxy which provides a highly abrasion and impact resistant, repair. Sylmasta WearShield Rapid is ideal for the maintenance and repair of ash handling systems, scrubbers, silos, chutes, mills, metal castings etc. and provides excellent protection against abrasion, corrosion and chemical attack.
WearShield Rapid is reinforced with alumina beads for ultimate resistance against wear. The light consistency makes it easier to mix than stiff and heavy traditional epoxy pastes and it is thixotropic, meaning it will not sag. The short cure time means that equipment can be back in service within a few hours.
Protect equipment from wear and corrosion Repair heavy damage to ash handling systems, scrubbers, silos, chutes, mills, metals castings etc. Applications requiring protection against corrosion, chemical attack and surface abrasion.
• High abrasion resistance
• Impact resistant
• Easy to apply
• Short cure time
Directions for Use
• Surfaces must be prepared prior to application.
• All surfaces must be dry and free from grease. Clean and roughen surface for optimum adhesion.
• Remove all paint, rust and grime from the surface by abrasive blasting or with sandpaper.
• Aluminium: remove oxidation from surface for optimal adhesion.
• Roughen the surface first, ideally by grit blasting (8-40 mesh grit), or through grinding with a coarse wheel or abrasive disc pad. An abrasive disc may be used provided white metal is revealed. Do not ‘feather edge’ – this epoxy must be ‘locked in’ by defined edges and a good 3 – 5mm profile.
• Metal which has been in contact with seawater or other salt solutions should be grit blasted and high pressure water blasted, and then left overnight to allow salts in the metal to ‘sweat’ to the surface. Repeat this process if necessary to ‘sweat out’ all of the soluble salts.
• Test for chloride contamination before application.
• The maximum soluble salts left on the substrate should be no more than 40 ppm.
• Use a solvent cleaner to remove all traces of sandblasting, grit, oil, grease, dust or other foreign substances.
• In cold working conditions, it is recommended that the repair area is heated to 37ºC – 43º C prior to application. This will dry off any moisture, contamination or solvents for maximum adhesion.
• Apply as soon as possible after preparation of the substrate to avoid oxidation or rusting.
• WearShield Rapid should be kept and applied at room temperature. It can be applied at temperatures as low as 10ºC.
• Spread WearShield Rapid over prepared surface with a putty knife. Press firmly to ensure maximum surface contact and avoid trapping air.
• To bridge large gaps or holes use fibreglass, sheet metal or wire mesh.